Here are the 5 topics I would convey to my students:
1. Advocate and practice safe, legal, and responsible use of information and technology. Plagiarism is a big issue with students today. They must learn how to use information correctly and cite information that is not their own.
2. Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media. Students need to learn to use various useful sources in order to gain the best knowledge on a particular topic.
3. Use digital etiquette and responsible social interactions. Students should use the internet with the same etiquette they use in the classroom/library.
4. Use of valid resources. Students must learn how to filter through resources and determine which resources are useful/valid resources and which are not. For example, peer reviewed articles.
5. Communicate information and ideas effectively to multiple audiences using a variety of media and formats. Students should learn that sharing their ideas/thoughts with others can be a powerful tool to have. But in doing that, they must understand that they will incur praise as well as criticism for their ideas.